With solely 5 circumstances confirmed as of this morning on the island, Puerto Rico has put an island-wide points administration plan in place as a preventative measure to keep away from mass unfold of COVID-19 all through the island.
“Given the Island’s resilience and experience with major disasters and expediting quick recoveries for economic turnaround, like it did from 2017’s Hurricane Maria to having a record-breaking year in tourism in 2019, island leaders know that getting ahead and making quick impactful decisions like these are critical to pushing forward to get back on track when the crisis is behind us,” Discover Puerto Rico mentioned in an announcement.
Some of the measures Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced positioned over the weekend embrace:
- Establishing an island-wide curfew efficient instantly from 9 p.m. to five a.m., via March 31; the one exceptions are those that are working or in circumstances of emergency.
- Enhanced well being screenings of all passengers upon arrival into San Juan’s Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, which consists of a quick temperature examine, with additional screening on the airport, if needed
- Promoting social distancing by suspending all massive occasions on the Island till March 31, which is in accordance with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s steerage for massive occasions and mass gatherings that recommends organizers cancel or postpone in-person occasions that include 50 folks or extra all through the U.S.
- All non-essential companies, together with theaters, malls, casinos, bars, sights, gyms and “any place that promotes the gathering of citizens in one place” shall be closed efficient instantly
- Supermarkets, pharmacies, gasoline stations and different important companies like eating places that supply takeout or supply will solely be open via 6 p.m.
- Taxis and Ubers will solely work from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., aside from these servicing the airports.
“While this may disrupt current tourism activity on the Island through end of month, we feel keeping our visitors and residents safe is our number one priority right now,” Discover Puerto Rico provides.